Tuesday 11 June 2013

Another anecdote from another wonderful and committed team member

Hello anonymous hero,

I have been working at Young Vic for 3 years. I started as an audience member in 2009 when I saw Annie Get Your Gun and Joe Turners Come and Gone, got a job as an usher in 2010 and was involved artistically after that. I've seen so many sides to this theatre and seen so many ushers and managers come and go. Through all this, my enjoyment and enthusiasm for this theatre has seeped away over time, over the management changes and over the show changes.

I have noticed a change in staff attitudes, management attitudes and my own attitude. I remember the times when I used to look forward to work, I remember when I used to beg to sit inside so I could see the show again. I remember coming to work with a smile on my face. The special thing about working at Young Vic was that not only was I working with 'colleagues' but I was working with my friends.
I think it is such a shame to be hearing rumours about us loosing our jobs. Its outrageous that people are being fired left, right and centre with no warning or reason. Its not right the way some members of staff speak to other members of staff with such disrespect.

I hate that we are no longer able to send emails for cover if something like an audition comes up; after all Young Vic isn't my LIFE! Its my secondary source of income. 
I hate that there's never enough [locker] fobs for everyone. I hate that I am made to feel inferior to the production team, like I'm not supposed to be there.

I hate that I don't want to commit myself to be a seasonal usher but in turn means my job has less worth and makes me vulnerable. It creates an unnecessary hierarchy where one half of the team are treated to 'perks'. I was told they'd be offered more and frequent shifts not fobs and young vic merchandise like fleeces and bags.

I hate that I don't even know how to use an evac chair [an important part of training and health and safety for audience members] after 3 years in a job.

I wish the ushers had a room of our own for lockers and resting between shifts. I wish management communicated better with the ushers (or more friendly in general). I wish I felt more integrated into the building. I wish we were told about audition opportunities within shows. I wish hard work was recognised.
Anyway that's my rant over, just wanted to make sure I had my say!

No comments:

Post a Comment