Saturday 15 June 2013

Email from former staff member

---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Date: Saturday, June 15, 2013 Subject: Former BXO member To: youngvicushersunite@gmail.com

Hi there
I'm a former box office team member at the Young Vic. I left a year or two or three ago, at a time my former colleagues and I refer to as the 'regime change'!
I don't know the exact details of this latest episode, but I can see exactly how it came to this. The theatre's rather limp response backs up exactly what I mean. Brush off the problem, blame it on staff being dramatic, hope it goes away.
It will not go away any more, I feel.
The theatre thinks it can do no wrong. It relishes the presses view that the young vic is "on a roll" as the signs outside say. In terms of staff morale, that is clearly untrue.
They say they have done nothing wrong, and legally I guess this is true. But this rebellion response does not come from nowehere and the work force should embrace this opportunity to break that facade this place is perfect. It has changed beyond recognition and will continue to do so.
The theatre is spear heading a 'save the arts campaign'. They are desperate to look like they are leading the industry. Meanwhile lower staff get no training, development and are fired as the easiest option.
The theatre puts on plays about rebellions and uprisings. Their response to a staff rebellion? send secret messages to journalists on twitter and say they can do nothing about it.
If anything good comes from all this, I hope the public and press have had a glimpse into what its really like.

1 comment:

  1. departments and former colleaugues r meeting and exchanging views. 2010 and reserved seating when it began..

    ReplyDelete