Thursday 20 June 2013

From a former Young Vic staff member

"I was lucky enough to have spent many happy years at the Young Vic, though never admitting   just how many.  I  worked with enthusiastic dedicated BO staff,  but one thing that always worried me was the term "Casual" there were 3 of us who were lucky enough to be contracted staff left over from a bygone era, one of us still at YV, but new staff were employed on this "Casual" basis even though they went on to work for years and not just months or weeks, they were always happy to do any shifts that were on offer, train up new staff and work unsociable hours, without the benefits of holiday or sick payments.
The Ushers were always a happy group of people, I remember Louisa & Kirstin employing staff all ages, students, actors a great team of people, some of which I believe are still there and there was always time for training, it seems a shame if this is not now the case.

It is sad that BECTU seems to have let these staff down, for even if there were just a couple of members there should have been some negotiation.

I can only wish you all well."

No comments:

Post a Comment